Amidst so many things said and heard, we has collected some crazy & interesting facts about Facebook that have made the company a treat for the readers.
Whether you are a user of Facebook or not, it’s always there and millions upon millions of people use it every single day. When Facebook IPO came, Facebook share was priced in open market for about $38 a share, bringing the totaled value of the company to a whopping $100 billion.
Did you know that Mark Zuckerberg makes about $67 every second totaling around $650K every week? Or what if Facebook was a country – with over 900 million users, FB would be the 3rd largest country in the world after China and India, basically crushing the US which is home to only 300+ million. In such a short amount time, this website has become an extremely strong force in today’s society and it only looks to go up after the IPO.
Some Interesting Facts About Facebook
- Facebook’s Worth would be more than eBay, Yahoo, Groupon, LinkedIn, Netflix, IAC, AOL, Zynga and Pandora combined, when it goes public.
- Facebook has 901 million monthly active users, with 526 million who use Facebook at least once a day as of March, according to Facebook’s fact page.
- Countries that block Facebook include China, Iran, Uzbekistan, Syria, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
- Eminem has the most popular celebrity page on Facebook with over 57 million likes, beating Rihanna and Lady Gaga.
- In 2011, Zuckerberg became a vegetarian, according to his Facebook timeline history.
- The company that’s been valued at over $100 billion dollars was started from Mark Zuckerberg’s dorm room in Harvard. Yep, that part of the movie is true.
- Eduardo Saverin, the Brazilian co founder of Facebook has renounced his US citizenship and is now investing billions in startups at Singapore.
- About 60 percent of the voting power at Facebook is controlled by Zuckerberg.
- The big shot media company Viacom had offered to acquire Facebook, but was rejected by Mark Zuckerberg.
- After agreeing to an acquisition offer from Yahoo while it was led by Terry Semel, Facebook stepped down from the deal when there were talks of lowering the offer price.
- The Microsoft CEO, steve Ballmer had offered to buy Facebook. Steve has invested $240 million in Facebook till date.
- Of all the incredible talents that Zuckerberg is bestowed with, his greatest and what seems to be his favorite is Firing People.
- Facebook interviewed Yahoo executive Ellen Siminoff, Apple veteran Bud Colligan, and former OpenTable CEO Jeff Jordan for the position of COO which is now held by Sheryl Sandberg.
- Steve jobs had to cancel the presentation that he had offered Facebook for the iphone application in 2008. Jobs, who had expected Zuckerberg to do the presentation was disappointed by the audition of the engineer who was selected by the Facebook CEO.
- Maintaining his reputation of having a a bad fashion sense, Zuckerberg wore a hoodie to the meeting with wall street investors.
- In 2005, Mark Zuckerberg took CEO lessons to improve his managerial skills.
- Mark Zuckerberg is said to be a big time Glee fan.
- One of the reasons for Facebook to be so mobile friendly is that Mark Zuckerberg is a huge fan of Blackberry.
- In 2010 Zuckerberg switched to iphone from Blackberry, apparently, because his thumbs were hurting.
- The employees at Facebook seem to be getting bored as Zuckerberg won’t agree to work on weird projects like driverless cars.
- Mark Zuckerberg promises to code every day of the year 2012.
- The CEO never consulted his board before starting his negotiations with the $1 billion acquisition Instagram.
- Facebook had started looking for overseas investors when it was not getting any attention from domestic investors during the housing crisis.
- The Like Button was originally named the Awesome button by the Facebook engineers.
- Facebook’s valuation is four times that of Google when it went public.
- In 2009, after being charged by the government for changing user privacy settings, Facebook agreed to 20 years of FTC privacy audits.
- The Zuckerberg family spent $85,000 to keep running Facebook during its first Californian summer.
- Before starting YouTube, founder steve chen had worked for a few weeks at Facebook.
- To drop the “the”, Sean Parker helped the company buy the domain name Facebook.com for $200,000.
- Mark Zuckerberg had initially resisted to the idea of including photo sharing. Sean parker had convinced him to include what is the most used feature of the website.
- Engineers at Facebook are paid more than any other in Silicon Valley.
- The young billionaire recently married to his long time girlfriend Priscilla Chan.
Mrs Zuckerberg, who is of Chinese-American descent, had inspired her new husband, 28, to learn Chinese some time ago.